Wednesday 12 May 2010

Endings.


It's bizarre how quickly time passes. It's not even that I'm getting old; I'm sixteen, but it still feels as though time is elapsing beyond what I can comprehend. When I was younger, sixteen seemed like the age where I'd be self-actualised, I'd understand myself and the world, but that's far from the truth. I'm not ready to be able to legally have sex! I am not responsible enough to live on my own, and joining the army is an idea I can't fathom even if it was what I wanted to do. The law deems me mature enough to do so many things, but it completely overestimates me: I'm still a child.

Tomorrow is my last day of compulsory education. Apparently we're meant to be sentimental and emotional about this, but I genuinely do not care. There's no point in saying dramatic goodbyes only to come back three days later for exams. Also, the majority of people I know are coming back to school for sixth form anyway. Yet apparently it's still a time of major change, and it's a time where I should mourn what I've lived for the past few years. I think it's false sentiments, to be honest. Things are going to change, sure, but I completely embrace that because life is somewhat dull at the minute.

Politics-wise, I think Clegg made the right choice by forming a coalition with the Tories, though I doubt the former group will have much say or power in anything. The alternative was to form a coalition with Labour (fine) and some of the other small and patriotic parties (not so fine) or to ignore the opportunity which would have just been disastrous in terms of Lib Dem support.

No comments:

Post a Comment